Fall 2021 Regional Meeting
Welcome to our online Fall Regional Meeting, to be held online on Saturday, November 13, 2021! Check back often as more information is added as it becomes available.
Letter from the President
Who could have thought, back in March of 2020, that more than a year and a half later we would still be in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic, beset by dangerous new variants and the fourth wave? Who could have thought that the greatest public health challenge would not be developing a vaccine against the virus, but persuading enough people to be injected with the scientifically-proven, safe and effective vaccine? Who could have thought that we would be compelled by public health considerations to hold not just one, but two, annual meetings of Shining Waters Regional Council online, rather than in person? Surely, we live in trying times.
But who could have thought that, despite the time of trial, we could pursue and accomplish important purposes – such as the adoption and implementation of an equity action plan; such as the creation of an Intercultural Diversity Commission; such as a Regional priorities exercise to guide our funding support for various ministries, and to clarify primary responsibility within our structure in areas of shared responsibility; such as beginning the move to a new model of long-term financial stability for Shining Waters, by working in partnership with the United Property Resource Corporation to develop certain regionally-owned properties so as to generate ongoing revenues rather than one-time cash proceeds from the sale of the properties; such as gaining comfort with online tools to connect and support clergy and lay leaders, to achieve efficiencies in our administrative and governance activities, and to conduct one, and about to be two, remarkably successful Regional Council meetings.
This meeting of Shining Waters Regional Council will have three main purposes. We will consider a number of proposals addressed to the Regional Council or the General Council. We will consider a draft multi-year budget. And we will receive nominations, and elect new leaders to the governance structure of Shining Waters Regional Council. There is a time for every purpose.
President, Shining Waters Regional Council
A significant portion of the Fall Regional Meeting’s agenda will be considering and voting on proposals intended for action by either the Regional Council, or by the General Council next summer. In anticipation of our Regional Meeting, a video has been prepared that outlines the process for submitting proposals.
FOR A COMPREHENSIVE DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSAL PROCESS, PLEASE REFER TO SECTION F.1 of THE MANUAL (2021): https://united-church.ca/sites/default/files/2021-02/the-manual-2021.pdf
The template for proposals can be found on the General Council 44 website. If you have questions or need assistance with the proposal process please contact Peter Hartmans at email@example.com
The deadlines for submission for proposals to be discussed at the Fall Regional Meeting are September 24, 2021 and October 22, 2021. These proposals will then be discussed at town halls before the regional meeting. See below for more details on our town hall meetings.
Town Hall Meetings
A key piece of this year’s process will be two Town Halls where Regional Council members will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss proposals in depth.
We will also be holding two more Town Halls, one will be a Nominations Info Session and the other will be a Budget Info Session.
PLEASE SEE OUR NOMINATIONS PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION FOR CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES – Applications are being accepted until Friday October 29, 2021.
PLEASE SEE OUR BUDGET PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION (pending).
We will be recording all our town halls. If you were unable to attend and would like to view a meeting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save these dates:
October 6, 2021 – 1st Town Hall Meeting to discuss proposals (recording of meeting available)
October 13, 2021 – Nominations Town Hall Information Session (recording of meeting available)
November 3, 2021 – 2nd Town Hall Meeting to discuss proposals
November 10, 2021 – Budget Town Hall
November 3 Register Here
November 10 Register Here (pending)
Meeting Resources and Materials
These items will be added and updated as they become available.
- Resource Book – [pdf | pages] – pending
- Meeting Agenda [pdf | pages] – pending
- Consent and Procedural Motions [pdf | pages] – pending
- Draft Minutes of Regional Meeting – October 18 -19, 2020 [pdf | 6 pages] – PDF
- Draft Minutes of Regional Meeting – Celebration of Ministries Service – May 30, 2021 [pdf | 7 pages] – PDF
- Draft Minutes of Regional Meeting – Nominations – June 17, 2021 [pdf | 2 pages] – PDF
- Zoom Tip Sheet – includes how to vote during the meeting – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Proposals: See Regional Meeting Proposals page
- Business: Budget – [ pdf | 1 page ] PDF – See Video Presentation of Budget and Questions page -pending
- Reports: Digest of Actions – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Reports: Regional Council Executive Accountability – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Reports: Communities of Faith Commission – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Reports: Equity Committee – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Reports: Intercultural Diversity Commission – [pdf | pages] – pending
- Reports: Pastoral Relations Commission – [ pdf | page ] – pending
- Reports: Social and Ecological Justice Commission – [ pdf | pages ] – pending
- Reports: Nominations Committee – [pdf | pages] – pending
- Reports: Emmanuel College – [ pdf | 2 pages ] – pending
- In Memoriam – [ pdf | pages ] – pending – Join Moderator Richard Bott and others on November 1, 2021 from 12 Noon to 1 pm for a special All Saints Day service, remembering those we have lost. This service will livestream on the United Church YouTube channel.
- Display Room – peruse our virtual display room while on break – pending
Registration for the Fall 2021 Regional Meeting is now open. The meeting Zoom link will be emailed to attendees closer to the meeting date. If you are unable to attend, please submit your regrets below. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com and a staff person will respond as soon as possible. Thank you.