United in Learning Congregational Finance Workshops These workshops have been a valuable resource in these uncertain times. They are aimed at church treasurers, but open to all with interest in financial matters related to church governance. Join the Zoom meeting or watch on YouTube, find the link at the United in Learning website.
Reopening: Shining Waters Regional Council
- Moving Forward: Living Faithfully! Recommendations from Shining Waters Regional Council to assist communities of faith in planning for the safe reopening of their buildings and in-person continuation of their ministries May 26, 2020
- Letter to Premier Ford on reopening churches in Ontario May 21, 2020
Reopening: Wider United Church Resources
- Reopening Churches Safety Considerations from The United Church of Canada
- Making Faithful Decisions on Re-entry Part 1 Part 2 This two-part video resource produced by The United Church of Canada with Rev. Diane J. Strickland is about making faithful decisions about reopening buildings that are pastoral, that conform to regulations, and are trauma-informed. July 31, 2020 (54 minutes) Risk Assessment Process Handout, to accompany the process described in Part 2.
- More on Opening Our Buildings PDF of Slides from United in Learning Webinar June 4, 2020
- Reopening Checklist Template for Communities of Faith a resource shared from Antler River Watershed, Western Ontario Waterways and Horseshoe Falls Regional Councils, July 2020
- Considerations for Reopening Churches PDF of Slides from United in Learning Webinar May 28, 2020
- A Discerning Process for Reopening from Living Skies Region a resource for groups to walk through a decision-making process, June 1, 2020
Reopening: General Articles
- Resuming Care-Filled Worship and Sacramental Life During a Pandemic The Ecumenical Consultation on Protocols for Worship, Fellowship and Sacraments. Includes detailed guidance on all aspects of liturgies including baptisms and communion.
- ‘You don’t want to be the priest that kills off your congregation’: Is Ontario opening houses of worship too quickly? Toronto Star article by Bruce Arthur, June 11, 2020
- Does singing spread coronavirus? Choir outbreaks raise concerns CTV News, May 17, 2020
- NATS Panel of Experts Lays Out Sobering Future for Singers: “No Vaccine, No Safe Public Singing”. The report of a panel assembled by the professional singing teachers and choir directors. May 6, 2020
- Why Reopening a Church is Different Article from Lewis Center for Church Leadership by Alex Shanks, May 27, 2020
- So Your Church is Opening Up After COVID-19 Closures? It won’t be what you’re hoping for. The Rev. Erik Parker
May 26, 2020
Public Health Links
- North Simcoe – Muskoka, Updated Nov.7 2020
- Peel, Updated Nov.14, 2020
- Toronto, Updated Nov.14 2020
- York Region, Updated Nov.13, 2020
- Lockdown measures for Toronto and Peel (Nov.20)
- Five Levels of public health measures
- COVID 19 in Ontario
- Public Health Ontario
- COVID 19 Response Framework, Nov.9, 2020 PDF
- Health Information for Community Agencies
- Workplace Safety & Prevention and COVID-19
- Attending Services in Motor Vehicles amendment to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act May 16 More information from Canadian Council of Christian Charities
Employment Guidance for Communities of Faith during COVID-19 PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT FIRST Updated October 30, 2020
GCE Extends Temporary Amendment of ByLaws re: Pastoral Relations for urgent decisions related to call or appointment. Updated August 27, 2020 GCE web page for original decision Temporarily Amends Pastoral Relations Policies
ADP United in Learning Webinar, 04.14.20 Slides from webinar.
Lay Leaders Zoom Meeting April 14, 2020 View the recording of the information session with lay leadership in the region and Shining Waters Staff and General Secretary Nora Sanders. View past sessions on our YouTube channel.
Dale Hildebrand, Pastoral Relations Minister
Phone: 416-231-7680 | 1-800-268-3781 Extension: 6261
(South of HWY 407)
Todd McDonald, Pastoral Relations Minister
Phone: 416-231-7680 | 1-800-268-3781 Extension: 6235
(North of HWY 407)
Congregational Finances and COVID-19 What Churches can do right now Updated June 10, 2020.
CanadaHelps and The United Church United in Learning Webinar May 28, 2020
United Church of Canada Emergency Support April 27, 2020 Information on denominational ways to bridge the financial strain on communities of faith and link to loan application form.
Governance in Congregations during COVID-19 April 16, 2020
Toronto United Church Council TUCC COVID-19 April Update includes the Investing in Ministry Fund, camping ministries, Innovative Ministry Centre, the Centre for Church Development and Leadership and property management information. April 13, 2020
Generosity in Unprecedented Times Practical, recommended, tools to invite an ongoing commitment from the Philantrhropy Unit, March 28, 2020
Governance during COVID-19 Pandemic, Shining Waters Regional Council, March 20, 2020
Ways Churches Can Offer Connection and Care During Social Distancing A resource to share from The Presbyterian Church in Canada, Summer 2020
Outline for a Zoom gathering at the time of death, shared by Karen Hilfman, April 28, 2020
Grieving and Remembering at Home, ideas from Susie Henderson, April 28, 2020
Moderator Asks to delay funerals March 24, 2020
6 Tips to Avoid “Zoom Fatigue” in the Age of COVID-19, by Leah D. Schade April 3, 2020
Talking with Children about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Talking Points from Jeffrey Dale, Shining Waters Regional Council March 20, 2020
How to Talk to Children About the Coronavirus Pandemic by Alan Wolfelt at the Center for Loss and Life Transition, March 19, 2020
Things That Matter YouTube Channel by Diane Strickland
Pastoral Care for Grieving Families A Google Doc from our partner church in the U.S. The United Church of Christ
Responsive Prayer Model for On-Line Funeral Google Doc from the United Church of Christ
As of Monday, November 28th, the Province of Ontario mandates that Toronto and Peel public health regions will move into grey/lockdown measures.
The Government of Ontario announced today new measures for Toronto and Peel, including the suspension of wedding receptions. See the October 9, 2020 news release from the Premier's Office.
A message about the recall of laid-off employees in light of the end of the state of emergency as of September, 4 2020. Read it online here.
This newsletter, sent June 17, 2020, includes information about leader's gatherings, and website updates related to public health guidelines and resources for re-opening. Read it online here.