Episode 2: Prairie Harm Reduction
This podcast’s conversation is centred around the work and ministry of Prairie Harm Reduction in their community. Prairie Harm Reduction’s website states that their mission is to “improve the quality of life for all members of our community through gold standards in Harm Reduction, emphasizing local action with national impact.” Prairie Harm Reduction is the organization that hosts the province of Saskatchewan’s only supervised consumption site and the only safe smoking room in Canada. The conversation today is with Kayla DeMong the Executive Director for Prairie Harm Reduction and Dr. Ali Tote, Pastor at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Saskatoon and a board member of Prairie Harm Reduction. The conversation today considers the ways in which we are engaging people and how we might be a presence in this world that provides ‘dignity, respect, and equal accesses’ to support and services for all people.
Scripture Reading – Deuteronomy 15: 7-11
Conversation – Prairie Harm Reduction
Kayla DeMong, Executive Director for Prairie Harm Reduction
Dr. Ali Tote, Pastor at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Saskatoon
Hymn – Christ Has No Body Now but Yours
Words: Adapted by Stephen C. Warner, 2003, from St. Teresa of Avila
Music: Rick Gunn, 2006
Performed by: Laura Beth (Laura Beth Music | Laura Beth_)
One License # 36222
– Considering the realities of drug use, the question remains from this conversation why is it we treat illicit drug use specifically as a moral issue as opposed to a health use? What is the church’s role in engaging beyond merely moralistic into a fulsome relationship with other’s well-being?
– Dr. Tote notes that the church needs to “walk the walk” and truly live its faith in action. When you consider his comments in relation to the scripture from Deuteronomy, how might we move into the space of being non-judgemental?
– We discuss tools of harm reduction and access for safe consumption use, and one is Naloxone. Here is a breakdown by province regarding access to Naloxone.
- Alberta: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/page15586.aspx
- British Columbia: https://towardtheheart.com/site-finder
- Manitoba: https://streetconnections.ca//content.php?navigation_id=2294
- New Brunswick: https://sunar.ca/where-to-pick-up-a-free-naloxone-kit-by-area
- Newfoundland and Labrador: https://www.gov.nl.ca/hcs/naloxonekits/
- Northwest Territories: https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/sites/hss/files/resources/naloxone-availabilty.pdf
- Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca/opioid/
- Nunavut: https://gov.nu.ca/health/information/health-centres
- Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-naloxone-kits-free
- Prince Edward Island: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/health-and-wellness/preventing-opioid-related-overdoses
- Quebec: https://sante.gouv.qc.ca/en/repertoire-ressources/naloxone/
- Saskatchewan: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/accessing-health-care-services/mental-health-and-addictions-support-services/alcohol-and-drug-support/opioids
- Yukon: https://yukon.ca/en/health-and-wellness/mental-wellness/get-support-mental-health
Prairie Harm Reduction – Prairie Harm Reduction (prairiehr.ca)
Religion and the Health of the Public: Shifting the Paradigm by Gary R. Gunderson and James R. Cochrane
More Harm Than Good: Drug Policy in Canada by Susan Boyd, Connie I. Carter, and Donald MacPherson
Drug Use for Grown-Ups: Chasing Liberty in the Land of Fear by Dr. Carl L. Hart
The Care We Dream of: Liberatory & Transformative Approaches to LGBTQ+ Health by Zena Sharman
Podcast Host and Staff Support
Minister, Justice and Faith Formation
Phone: 416-231-7680 | 1-800-268-3781
Serves in: Shining Waters Regional Council and Canadian Shield Regional Council
Location: Teleworks and works in the Guthrie office
Role: Jeffrey encourages and connects communities of faith with matters of faith and justice and the regional council in youth and young adult ministry and matters of faith formation and liaises with the General Council in this regard.
Contact Jeffrey about: Affirming Ministry; Camping Ministries; Faith Formation; Guaranteed Income; Harm Reduction; Homelessness; Poverty; Social and Eco-justice; Worship and Music; Youth and Young Adult Ministry, United Church Women (UCW)