This issue of Currents follows the recent meeting of the Shining Waters Regional Council Executive held on November 26, 2019. Minutes from all commissions and committees are posted here, as draft until they are approved. In the meantime, here’s a round up of news.
MISSION SUPPORT GRANTS
Regional Councils were encouraged to honour the commitments of the former presbyteries for the first two years of the transition.
- a number of outreach projects received mission support from the former presbyteries
- grants from the Mission and Service fund were approved and notification will be going out shortly
- grants from the net revenue of the Presbyteries of Toronto Conference Corporation (PTCC) funds will be forwarded as recommendations to PTCC and final approval will be made in January.
We have received inquiries from a number of communities of faith seeking grants over this past year. Due to significant commitments made by Toronto Conference and its presbyteries prior to closing, there were limited funds available for 2019. Early in 2020 the Region will be reviewing its granting policy and procedures. Watch for details on our website.
PROPOSAL FOR AN INTERCULTURAL DIVERSITY COMMISSION
Some members of the Executive met with the Intercultural Diversity Network to discuss the proposal for an Intercultural Diversity Commission in Shining Waters. The meeting went over the background, and the intent and goals of the proposal in order to have a clearer idea of the issues. It was not a decision-making meeting, and discussions and consultations will continue.
MINISTRY PERSONNEL – Farewells and Welcomes
- Rev. Dr. Paul Shepherd from Martin Grove Pastoral Charge (Toronto) will be transferring to Horseshoe Falls Regional Council as of February 1, 2020 and we give thanks for his ministry.
- Shining Waters Regional Council welcomes diaconal minister Yoon Ok Shin Kang, who will be transferring from Northern Spirit Regional Council to join Willowdale Emmanuel Pastoral Charge (Toronto) as of February 1, 2020.
SOCIAL & ECOLOGICAL JUSTICE COMMISSION
The Commission recently sent a survey to all communities of faith, ministry personnel and lay reps. You are encouraged to complete the survey to help the Commission determine its priorities.
The Shining Waters Regional Council policies call for the formation of a sub-Executive. At the meeting November 26th, Steven Loweth, Jessica McCrae and Martha ter Kuille were appointed to join David Leyton-Brown (President), Kirsty Hunter (Past President) and Peter Hartmans (Executive Minister) on the sub-Executive.
The Executive had a discussion about the staffing needs of the region, job descriptions that have changed, and contracts that are ending soon.
Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK)
The Executive approved the continuation of the Memorandum of Agreement that was signed between Toronto Conference and the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK). They also approved a proposal from PROK for a year-long partner in residence for a student from Korea in Shining Waters. Our exchange with members of Seoul Presbytery was such a wonderful experience and we are so pleased to be deepening the relationship.
2020 REGIONAL MEETINGS
We’re happy to announce that Thornhill United Church will be hosting our regional meeting on May 23, 2020. This is primarily a learning event and the Celebration of Ministries service. The October 16 & 17 regional meeting is scheduled to be held in Orillia.
the Shining Waters Regional Council