Are you interested in becoming a commissioner for our 44th General Council?
What preparation and committment are required to become a General Council commissioner?
What was the most significant work of the 43rd General Council?
Process for electing commissioners to the 44th General Council Meeting
The General Council of The United Church of Canada will meet online in July 2022. Shining Waters Regional Council may elect 13 commissioners to attend the meeting and serve as members of the General Council for three years, beginning in July 2022. Commissioners will also participate in educational sessions beginning in February 2022.
Please see the position description for GC44 Commissioners (PDF | 2 pages – approved March 2021) for further details on what expectations will be required.
Applications to be a commissioner will be accepted between Thursday, May 20 and Monday, May 31, 2021.
After a process of recruitment and discernment, the SWRC Nominations Committee will propose a slate of commissioners that will include:
• At least four ministry personnel, one of whom will be a first alternate in case no candidates for Moderator are nominated;
• At least four lay people, one of whom will be a first alternate in case no candidates for Moderator are nominated;
• At least four people intentionally selected to reflect diversity not otherwise reflected;
• At least one youth or young adult;
• Two spots will be held in anticipation of nominees for the position of Moderator; people who are discerning a call to this role will be encouraged to put their name forward as a commissioner; if no one is nominated, these positions will be filled by the first alternates;
• At least two or three additional alternates will be elected.
The regional council will vote on the slate of commissioners at a special meeting on Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 7p.m.
An online meeting may present barriers for some people to serve as commissioners. Shining Waters Regional Council will do whatever we can to assist in the removal of those barriers.
For more information, please contact Jody Maltby: firstname.lastname@example.org
416-231-7680 or toll free 1-800-268-3781, ext. 6226.